James Stewart Cunha, Esq.
James S. Cunha, Esq. primarily focuses his practice on divorce and family law. Mr. Cunha represents corporate executive officers, professional athletes, business owners, hedge fund managers, medical professionals, legal and financial professionals, homemakers, working men and women–(or their spouses)–in divorce and family law cases. Based on his experience, Mr. Cunha is a highly sought-after divorce and family law attorney in South Florida. Mr. Cunha’s office regularly works with forensic accountants, business valuation and tax experts, economists, actuaries, fine art, antique, and jewelry appraisers, vocational, medical and other financial experts.
By developing a strong reputation for providing clients top caliber representation and dedication towards producing excellent results, Mr. Cunha is also retained by his clients or companies owned or managed by his clients to litigate or represent them in complex civil cases involving commercial agreements, corporate mergers, stock purchase agreements, shareholders’ disputes, coverage disputes in multimillion dollar life and commercial insurance policies, and cases of catastrophic injury or wrongful death, which have resulted in the recovery of millions on behalf of his clients.
A few notable cases that Mr. Cunha has litigated include:
- Wrongful Death. Settlement reached for $4,114,000.
- Breach of Contract. The parties reached a confidential settlement exceeding $2,500,000.
- Civil Rights Violation and Negligence. Federal Jury Verdict: $102,490.
- Insurance Coverage Dispute. Recovered $600,000.
- Commercial Dispute. Recovered $1,500,000.
- Auto Accident and Insurance Dispute. Recovered $197,500.
In recognition of the damages awarded or judgments he has obtained for his clients in specific cases, Mr. Cunha is a Lifetime Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Fewer than 1% of U.S. lawyers are members.
- Juris Doctor, University of Florida, May 2003
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration, Finance, University of Florida, May 2000
- Bachelor of Arts, Political Science & Minor, Economics, University of Florida, May 2000
In two years of attending the undergraduate program at the University of Florida, Mr. Cunha earned two separate bachelor degrees. He was then admitted into the Fredric G. Levin College of Law at the University of Florida where he obtained his Juris Doctor. To receive immediate courtroom and trial experience, Mr. Cunha became a prosecutor in Palm Beach County. After several years as a felony prosecutor and having litigated over a hundred jury trials, Mr. Cunha established the Law Offices of James S. Cunha, P.A.
Memberships and Professional Associations
- Member of the Florida Bar
- United States District Court, Middle District of Florida
- United States District Court, Southern District of Florida
- Trial Lawyers’ Section of the Florida Bar
- Family Law Section of the Florida Bar
- Lifetime Member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum
- Guardian ad Litem for the 8th Judicial Circuit of Florida
- National Issues Forums
- Police Athletic League: Mentored and counseled at-risk children
- Junior Achievement: Mentor
The Law Offices of James S. Cunha, P.A. assist clients in all Divorce and Family Law Matters throughout West Palm Beach, Lake Worth, Palm Beach, Palm Beach Gardens, Boynton Beach, Jupiter, Delray Beach, and Boca Raton in Palm Beach, Martin, St. Lucie, Okeechobee, Broward, and Miami-Dade counties. Mr. Cunha also assists clients in a select number of personal injury, business law and commercial litigation cases throughout Florida.